Thursday, July 25, 2013

judgment and grace

   Man, conservative people or so judgmental. I just really can't stand being around them sometimes. They're really legalistic and just don't give people grace.  

   That's the first thing I usually hear when I mention "really" conservative people to anyone who's not "really conservative".

   In a way, I get it. People can go a little "crazy" when they're talking about their rights to bear arms. People can really get into their debates about politics. And some people sure do enjoy their theology.

   But I've seen the people on the other end of the spectrum go a little "crazy" when they're talking about their rights to tattoos, or whatever. The same people who are complaining can really get into their debates about legalism or church authority. And some of those people sure do enjoy grace, sometimes to the extent of never condemning people's actions - ever.

   Don't get me wrong. I sure do enjoy grace. God's grace amazes me every day. He has forgiven me beyond anything I could dare to ask for without the blood of His Son.
   So I can "get it". We're all climbing the hill toward perfection, and on a lot of issues, if I've talked to "you" and I know you are honestly trying to grow in the Lord and serve Him, I don't care where you've been. Judging you on your past isn't right when God has forgiven and blotted out mine. And in regards to a lot of things, if you're trying to follow the Bible, I'm not going to tell you "You're a sinner!" just because I disagree with you on theological points or views on what's legalistic and what's not. Love covers a multitude of sins.
    And, with God's grace I will be able to look at your opinion from the perspective of God's Word and humbly try to see if I'm the one who's wrong.

   But I also don't get it. We're all climbing the hill toward perfection. Including the super-conservative people. Including the people who you think are judgmental. You're complaining about the fact that "they don't give enough grace", but do you give grace to them?
   Maybe there is pride and legalism and judgement. But maybe there's also pride in resisting "super conservative" views and throwing them off your back. Maybe they're honestly just trying to confront you in hopes of encouraging you towards righteousness. So both sides should humbly look toward the scriptures during discussions to constantly check if their beliefs are aligned with God's word.
   You are trying to sanctify. They are trying to sanctify. In the same way you think they're scorning your beliefs on God-given freedom, you're scorning their beliefs on God's laws and desires.

   Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.
   So come on. Before you judge on appearances, learn their heart. And before you judge on "legalism", learn their heart.
   We're sinners in need of humility. We're sinners in need of a Savior. We're sinners in need of grace.

   So be humble in your confrontation and encouragement. Be humble in your response to people who very well might be, or at least seem, legalistic. Do encourage your Christian Family toward growing in God's word. But give grace to your brothers and sisters in Christ, whether they're pierced, tattooed, long-haired, recovering, always-raising-people's-eyebrows, wanting-to-please-God-Christians... or whether they're denim-jumper, tucked in polo, strong-opinioned, sheltered, home-schooled, wanting-to-please-God-Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment